In this episode of the IoT Product Leadership podcast, we discuss how to accelerate IoT innovation by unlearning old habits.
My guest is Barry O’Reilly, a business advisor, entrepreneur, and author who has pioneered the intersection of business model innovation, product development, organizational design, and culture transformation.
In my IoT practice, I talk to many IoT Product Leaders overwhelmed by the complexity of bringing and IoT product to market. That’s why I’m very excited to have Barry on the show and have him share his experience on how large and small companies alike can innovate much faster and with much less effort. This is an episode that no IoT Product Leader should miss.
Subscribe on iTunes | Android | Stitcher | Google Play
Episode details: How Product Leaders Accelerate Innovation
“The way to innovate is to make lots of small bets. So have loads of hypothesis and quickly test them as cheaply as possible to find out what works and what doesn’t.”
– Barry O’Reilly
About Barry O’Reilly:
Barry O’Reilly is a business advisor, entrepreneur, and author who has pioneered the intersection of business model innovation, product development, organizational design, and culture transformation.
Barry works with business leaders and teams from global organizations that seek to invent the future, not fear it. Every day, Barry helps with many of the world’s leading companies, from disruptive startups to Fortune 500 behemoths, break the vicious cycles that spiral businesses toward death by enabling a culture of experimentation and learning to unlock the insights required for better decision making, higher performance and results.
Barry is the author of Unlearn: Let Go of Past Success to Achieve Extraordinary Results, and co-author of the international bestseller Lean Enterprise: How High-Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale—included in the Eric Ries series, and a Harvard Business Review must-read for CEOs and business leaders. He is an internationally sought-after speaker, frequent writer, and contributor to The Economist, Strategy+Business, and MIT Sloan Management Review.
Barry is faculty at Singularity University, advising and contributing to Singularity’s executive and accelerator programs based in San Francisco, and throughout the globe.
Barry is the founder of ExecCamp, the entrepreneurial experience for executives, and management consultancy Antennae.
His mission is to help purposeful, technology-led businesses innovate at scale.
Topics we discuss in this episode:
- Barry shares his background and how he got to where he is today
- Why do large organizations struggle to capitalize on rapid-changing trends like IoT
- The “Connected Learning Loop” and how Barry applied it on a project with the London subway to save millions of dollars.
- Barry explains the big picture of the value companies can derive from IoT. And he does that by walking us through a smart coffee maker example
- How to leverage prototypes and how to manage the speed of experiments to accelerate innovation
- Barry shares a teaser of his new book: Unlearn
To learn more about Barry O’Reilly:
- Read Barry’s blog
- The Connected Learning Loop (article)
- Find out more about Unlearn
- See what he has to say on Twitter: @barryoreilly