In this episode of the IoT Product Leadership podcast, we discuss How IoT is Powering Precision Agriculture. My guest today is Ranveer Chandra, Principal Researcher, Microsoft.
IoT can be a force of good to help fight some of the biggest problems in the world. That’s why I’m so excited about this episode.
In this episode, Ranveer walks us through the FarmBeats project, where he leads research on applying IoT to improve yields in farms.
This is the fourth episode in my IoT series with Microsoft and it’s a great one. To learn more about Ranveer, about Microsoft FarmBeats, and to access the resources mentioned in this episode, visit iotproductleadership.com.
This is an episode no IoT product leader should miss.
Subscribe on iTunes | Android | Stitcher | Google Play
Episode Details – How IoT is Powering Precision Agriculture with Ranveer Chandra:
“The world has a food problem. The world’s food production needs to increase by 70% by 2050 to feed the growing population of the world. It’s not just about growing more food. We need to grow nutritious food. We need to not just feed people, we need to feed them good food. And we need to do that while making sure we are not harming the environment.”
– Ranveer Chandra
About Ranveer Chandra:
Ranveer Chandra is the Chief Scientist at Azure Global. His research has shipped in multiple Microsoft products, including Windows, XBOX, Azure, Visual Studio, and Surface. Ranveer is leading the FarmBeats, battery research, and TV white space projects at Microsoft. He has published over 80 papers and filed over 100 patents, of which over 85 granted by the USPTO. He has won several awards, including the MIT Technology Review’s Top Innovators Under 35 (TR35). Ranveer has a Ph.D. from Cornell University.
Topics we discuss in this episode:
- Ranveer shares his background and about Azure Global.
- The FarmBeats project, how it got started and what its goal is.
- The components of the solution: sensors, gateway, edge software, cloud platform, AI, front-end applications.
- How Ranveer used TV white spaces to enable Wi-Fi connectivity.
- The use of drones in the FarmBeats project.
- Top learnings discovered throughout the FarmBeats project.
- Ways to generalize these learnings so that more farmers can benefit from this research and those IoT solutions.
- The impact of FarmBeats so far and how Ranveer envisions it helping farmers globally.
- Advice for Product Leaders who are new at developing IoT solutions.
To learn more about Ranveer:
Don’t forget to download my IoT product strategy template, for free.
- What Is An IoT Product Manager?
- IoT Framework for Product Managers
- How to Build an IoT Product Roadmap