In this episode of the IoT Product Leadership podcast, we discuss why you can’t outsource strategy. My guest today is Rich Mironov, one of the top Product coaches in the world, who I am honored to say he is my mentor and my friend.
In this episode, we discuss Rich’s four laws of software economics and how they impact your overall IoT product strategy. We also talk about how Rich coaches product teams and we get valuable advice on what he looks for when hiring Product Managers.
Subscribe on iTunes | Android | Stitcher | Google Play
Episode details: You Can’t Outsource Strategy
You can’t outsource strategy. You can’t depend on outsiders or 3rd parties to tell you what is important. And you certainly can’t depend on 3rd party or outsiders to give you the deep insights that you as a Product Manager need to have to build the right product, with the right details, in the right order, that really delivers value. – Rich Mironov
About Rich Mironov:
Rich Mironov is a 30-year veteran of Silicon Valley tech companies. Rich coaches product executives, product management teams, and agile/lean development organizations. He also parachutes into software companies as interim VP Products/CPO.
Rich has been the “product guy” at six Silicon Valley start-ups. His long-running blog covers software, start-ups, product strategies, and the inner life of product managers. Rich is the author of “The Art of Product Management” (2008) and founded the first Product Camp.”
Yours Free: IoT Product Strategy Template
Get the template I use at Stanford University and with my Fortune 500 clients.
Topics we discuss in this episode:
- Rich shares his background and talks about how he works with product teams.
- The first law of software (IoT product) economics – why your development team will never be big enough.
- The second law of software (IoT product) economics – why all the profits are in the nth copy/deployment.
- The third law of software (IoT product) economics – how software/hardware bits are not the whole product.
- The fourth law of the software (IoT product) economics – why you can’t outsource strategy.
- Advice for Product Leaders who are new to developing IoT solutions.
Learn more about Rich and Mironov Consulting:
- Rich on LinkedIn
- On Twitter @RichMironov
- Mironov Consulting
- From Rich’s blog: