How do you define a product positioning that drives sales and informs your roadmap? Find out in this episode of the Enterprise Product Leadership podcast.
Episode Details – How Great Positioning Leads to Great Roadmaps with April Dunford
Today, my guest is April Dunford, author of the best-selling book, Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It. She is also the founder and CEO of Ambient Strategy, a boutique consulting firm specializing in positioning for technology companies.
“One of the first things I teach people is that everybody’s got to own positioning. … Because positioning impacts everything we do. It’s going to impact what we’re doing in product, it’s going to impact what we’re doing in sales, in marketing, … customer success — it impacts a lot of things.” — April Dunford
In this episode, we discuss how positioning is a crucial element of every product and how bad positioning can have a devastating effect on your roadmap. We talk about the benefit of product management working closely with product marketing (especially at the beginning of the innovation journey), how companies should implement and execute their positioning strategy, and how to begin to create a cohesive product strategy that can generate value and money.
This is a fun and insightful episode that no product leader should miss!
About April Dunford
April is an experienced startup executive with a deep interest in how companies bring new offerings to market and get them into the hands of customers that are willing to pay for them. She has deep expertise in market positioning and has launched 16 products into the market. She has experience in creating new markets, expanding markets, and positioning new products in existing established markets.
April has held executive roles in a series of successful startups as CEO, COO, VP Marketing, and VP Marketing and Sales. She has also held executive roles at global companies such as IBM, where she launched and grew a new product division.
Additionally, April is the CEO of Ambient Strategy, a boutique consulting firm that specializes in positioning for technology companies. Through this, she has worked with over 200 companies across the globe, helping them grow faster by ensuring their offerings are clearly differentiated in the market.
Topics we discuss in this episode
- About April’s career background and the work that she does today
- About her book, Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
- The differences between market categories vs. trends (and what makes good ones vs. bad ones)
- Why you don’t have to be trendy in order to sell a product
- How to better structure the relationship between product management and product marketing
- Key components of positioning and what you need to consider as a Product Leader
- How to execute on your positioning throughout the lifecycle of your product
- Advice for leaders who are new at defining and executing a positioning strategy
Product Leadership tips of the week
You have to be deliberate and structured in creating your positioning strategy.
To learn more about April Dunford
- April Dunford’s LinkedIn
- Ambient Strategy
- Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It, by April Dunford
Want to learn more?
- Sign up for my newsletter at DanielElizalde.com/Join for weekly advice and best practices directly to your inbox!
- Visit DanielElizalde.com/Podcast for additional information, show notes, and all episodes.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts so you don’t miss out on any of my conversations with product and thought leaders!