The one-day IoT Product Workshop trains your whole team—Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Marketers, and more—to create a strong strategy for end-to-end IoT Products.
In this workshop, your team will:
- Learn all the components and considerations involved in building IoT products
- Get hands-on experience with the IoT Decision Framework
- Develop a strong, cohesive strategy for a current or potential IoT product at your company
- Improve communication and collaboration across disciplines thanks to a shared understanding of what it takes to build an IoT product
IoT products continue to open new opportunities for companies across all industries. At the same time, companies are finding that building IoT products is incredibly complex.
IoT products have many technology layers including device hardware, device software, communications, cloud computing, and cloud applications. Each layer is complex on its own, so bringing them together in a single product increases complexity and risk exponentially.
The challenge is not only technological. IoT brings new challenges (and opportunities) for other areas of your company such as user experience design, business modeling, data management, operations, security, and regulations. With all these moving parts, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and not know where to start.
The goal of this workshop is to arm your cross-disciplinary Product team with a common language and a structured approach to building IoT products via the IoT Decision Framework.
The workshop builds on the successful “Product Management for IoT” class taught by Daniel Elizalde at Stanford Continuing Studies. The focus of this workshop is not on the individual Product Manager, but on the Product team as a whole.
Who should attend the workshop?
Multi-disciplinary teams, not individuals, build successful products. To get the most out of the workshop, I recommend involving representatives from as many Product areas as possible. This may include Product Management, Engineering (software and hardware), Data Science, Marketing, Sales, Design, Finance, and Operations.
The more Product representatives you can involve, the better. But I understand it can be hard to coordinate multiple schedules, therefore I can run the workshop for whichever team size you choose, up to 25 people. The price is the same, so the more people you involve, the more value you’ll get.
What is the workshop duration and format?
The workshop duration is one day (9 am to 5 pm) at your facility.
The workshop is a combination of interactive presentations and group exercises that focus on working through the IoT Decision Workbook. Participants form teams of 3-5 people and choose a product to work on for the duration of the workshop. Teams can select the product they are currently working on, so they can learn the framework while making progress and getting feedback on their product.
How do I book a workshop?
For pricing information and to schedule a workshop, please contact me.
In preparation for the workshop, we will have a conference call to understand your goals and to select which modules/topics are most applicable to your situation. Below is a list of potential topics. During a one-day workshop, we can usually cover all the topics at a high-level or about 4 topics if you’d like dive deeper.
- Welcome and introductions
- Introduction to the IoT technology stack and the IoT Decision Framework
- Introduction to IoT Product Management
IoT User Experience (UX)
- Understanding your target users at each layer of the IoT technology stack
- Identifying and prioritizing IoT Personas (internal and external facing) across the IoT customer lifecycle
- Team exercise: UX decision area
IoT & Big Data
- How data flows through the IoT technology stack
- Sources of data
- The role of analytics in IoT
- Digital Twins
- Team exercise: Data decision area
The Business of IoT
- IoT Business models
- Build vs. buy across the IoT technology stack
- Calculating cost across the IoT technology stack
- Team exercise: Business decision area
The Technology of IoT
- Building blocks of an IoT device
- Criteria for selecting the right communications approach
- Criteria for selecting a Cloud platform
- Cloud applications (internal and customer-facing)
- Team exercise: Technology decision area
- Security challenges in IoT
- Physical security
- Identifying and prioritizing security risks
- Creating a culture of security in your company
- Team exercise: Security decision area
Standards & Regulations
- Technology standards
- Industry standards
- Impact of regulations on an IoT product
- Team exercise: Standards & Regulations decision area
What students are saying
“Without any hesitation, I would like to recommend Daniel’s course to any individual or organization interested in demystifying the idea behind IoT and to those who are interested in simplifying/accelerating their product development process.”
Shruti G. – Product Manager
“I particularly loved the decision framework he created and the way he guided us on asking the right questions at every stage. It was a great course taught by a highly experienced professional.”
Varsha K. – Software Engineer
“As a professor, Daniel really shines. He shows an incredible amount of passion for making sure his students learn and take the time to connect with every single student to better understand what they want out of his class.”
Akhil B. – Business Development Exec
“Kudos to Daniel’s class! It was thought-provoking, insightful, and well-structured using Daniel’s IoT Decision Framework. My big takeaway was the wide spectrum of product decisions that need to be made including priorities, costs, strategic direction, etc., and the ramifications and interconnection of those decisions.”
David W. – Sr Product Manager
“Daniel’s class is very detailed and thorough. I liked the interactive approach for the class and how he answered the student’s questions. The IoT decision framework is an innovative approach to solve product challenges.”
Sujata M. – Founder
Contact us to get more information
For pricing information and to schedule a workshop, please contact me.
About the Instructor
Daniel Elizalde is an IoT product leader with 17 years of experience building connected products. His diverse background includes working at Fortune 500 companies and growth-stage start-ups, as well as product companies and services companies. Daniel most recently served as Head of Product Management for Stem Inc, a GE-backed startup in Silicon Valley building IIoT solutions for the Smart Grid.
Daniel is the creator of the IoT Decision Framework and the author of TechProductManagement.com, the leading blog on IoT Product Management. He also teaches Product Management for IoT at Stanford Continuing Studies. The course is attended by IoT Product professionals from leading Silicon Valley companies including Tesla, Intel, Amazon, Samsung, and Cisco, to name a few.
Daniel’s Product Management approach has been featured in top IoT and product management publications such as Pragmatic Marketing, the IoT Business Show, Aha, and Mind the Product. He is a frequent speaker at Product Tank, Product Camp, and Product School.