In this episode of the IoT Product Leadership podcast, we discuss how to build IoT solutions that scale.
My guest today is Zach Shelby, Vice President of Developers at ARM.
In this episode, we talk about the challenges of scaling your IoT solution, the role of standards in IoT, and the importance of creating products that enable permissionless innovation.
This is an episode that no IoT Product Leader should miss.
Subscribe on iTunes | Android | Stitcher | Google Play
Episode details: How to Build IoT Solutions That Scale
“You need to live and breathe your customer. But remember, if you are creating technology deeper in the stack, your customer is a developer, not necessarily a business decision maker. And you need to be laser focused on what is it that they need. How much permission-less innovation do they need?”
– Zach Shelby
About Zach Shelby:
Zach is a visionary entrepreneur and technology leader, angel investor and thought leader in the Internet of Things space. Currently, he is a Vice President involved with IoT at Arm and will be based in California starting July 2018.
Zach founded the Micro:bit Foundation in 2016 to bring the brilliant educational work of the BBC to children and teachers around the world. Since then micro:bit has been used by millions of young people in 50+ countries. This is making a real difference in education at a global level, providing the ability for anyone to learn to solve problems creatively using technology, and paving the way for a whole new generation of Makers and IoT pros.
Zach was co-founder of Sensinode where he has acted as CEO and CTO for the ground-breaking company before acquisition by ARM in 2013. At ARM he has served as Vice President of Marketing and Director of Technology for Internet of Things, and is on assignment from ARM to the Micro:bit Foundation. He is an active investor and advisor for tech startups, including CubiCasa (PropTech), Augumenta (AR), Petasense (Industrial IoT), Walkia (LED lighting).
Topics we discuss in this episode:
- Zach shares his background and about ARM.
- How ARM approaches IoT solutions.
- The most interesting markets/industries that are currently adopting the Internet of Things.
- Some of the challenges Enterprises face when transitioning into IoT.
- What it means that, “universal data access is key to successful IoT initiatives.”
- As an industry, how we are getting close to universal data access.
- What is “permission-less innovation” and why it is important.
- Advice for Product Leaders who are new at developing IoT solutions.
To learn more about Zach and ARM:
- Zach on LinkedIn
- On Twitter @zach_shelby
- A Transformative Device-to-Data Platform for Connected IoT that Empowers an Intelligent Enterprise
- Arm Treasure Data Enterprise Customer Data Platform
- Enhancing the Customer Experience with IoT
- IoT: How Marketers Can Survive the IoT Data Deluge
- What Is An IoT Product Manager?
- IoT Framework for Product Managers
- How to Build an IoT Product Roadmap